Saturday 14 April 2012

Sound Reflection

It's six in the morning. Two days ago I walked into Woolworths and found that Mother was on sale. I've been up all night watching Supernatural and I don't plan on actually sleeping for the next twelve hours either so I thought I would try catching up on some blog posts.

The sound lecture was surprisingly interesting. The lecture wasn't actually a 'lecture'. It was a downloadable mp3 file of two interviews cut together one after the other. The people who were interviewed seemed to be radio personalities who use the medium of sound every day. I'm pretty sure the hosts were interviewed for the purpose of teaching journalism students about how 'sound' relates to journalism. I've never actively thought about just how distinct the medium of sound is compared to forms of media such as television and print.

Some of things I learned seems obvious when pointed out. For instance, radio is an intimate form of media. You're only using your sense of hearing so you have to focus on what's being said. You can't rely on other senses to to understand and process what is being said.

Overall, the lecture was engaging and made me think about journalism in relation to sound.

1 comment:

  1. I think the point was to make you think about journalism in relation to sound :P
    Ignoring that, it is a very interesting topic. The ability to hear is often taken for granted, and the importance is put on visuals. I'm not very good with radio when I'm busy or tired because I don't have the capacity to focus on it at that point in time. Oddly enough though I can focus on music sound instantly, anywhere.

    ReplyDelete